Find the date and venue that suit you
Mental health first aid
Weekly mental health first aid courses in London, Manchester, and Online.
Look for the public courses at the top of the page. If you want to book in-house training fill out the short form and we will get back to you in minutes.
We offer up to 30% OFF for a group booking.
In Person: 9:30 – 17:00
Online 2 days: 9:00-17:00
Online 4 Days: 9:00-13:00
Half Day Refresher: 10:00-14:00
LONDON: £250 (ex. VAT) | £300 (inc. VAT
MHFAiders® get automatic 24/7 digital support through the MHFAider Support App®
In-House training? Get a quote in minutes
Cancel or reschedule 7 days prior to the course free of charge. Our business hours are Mon -Fri 9 am – 5 pm
- More than 7 days = Money Back
- 48 Hours – 7 Days = 50% refund
- Less than 48 Hours = No refund
Share This Course
Have a question?
Drop us a message!
Provide us with details about it. We’ll be happy to help!
MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID COURSE - MHFAider® tRAINING
The mental health first aid training qualifies you as mental health first aider. It’s 16 hours course which can be taken online or face to face. If you choose the online mental health first aid option you will attend 16 hours live sessions with one of our instructors
We run face to face mental health first aid training in London on Mondays-Tuesdays (09:30 am – 5:00 pm) in our Old Street venue and Thursdays-Fridays (09:30 am – 5:00 pm) in our London Bridge venue
MHFAiders® gain the knowledge and skills to spot the signs of a person experiencing poor mental health, the confidence to start a conversation and the tools to signpost to appropriate support
MHFA England’s training is grounded in research. It has been developed through an inclusive lens, with input from people with lived experience and in collaboration with clinical practitioners, learners, and workplaces
The MHFA training is proven to
increase MHFAiders® confidence
in supporting people with mental ill
With confidence, community and access to exclusive resources and events, MHFAiders® will feel empowered to provide support where it’s needed and begin to help shape a healthier workplace with a thriving culture
WE PROMISE YOU THE BEST PRICE
MHFA training cost comparison with other providers (VAT inc.)
|Provider||Price Per Person|
|Siren Training||£264 – £300|
|St John Ambulance||£432|
about Mental Health First Aid
What is Mental Health First Aid Training?
Mental Health First Aid is not unlike physical first aid: help offered for someone suffering from ill health, in this case mental ill health. MHFA courses will also teach you to spot earlier signs and symptoms of common mental health problems, such as anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, etc. With the knowledge and tools learned in the course, individuals will be able to to deliver mental health first aid before professional medical treatment is available. The aims of mental health first aid are to:
- Preserve life
- Prevent further harm
- Promote recovery
- Provide comfort to the person who suffers
Please note that as a qualified Mental Health First Aider, or someone who has undertaken a Mental Health First Aid course, you will not be able to diagnose or treat, but you can identify symptoms of anxiety, depression, eating disorders, amongst other challenges, and encourage someone to seek professional help. These courses do not teach you to be a counsellor or therapist, but will empower you to react and signpost when someone in mental distress may need professional help.
Mental Health First Aider Course (2 Days)
Adult MHFAider® course – this is the most comprehensive training, and the ONLY one which qualifies you as a Mental Health First Aider.
On this course you will increase your knowledge around a variety of mental health issues such as depression, anxiety and schizophrenia. You will learn some practical tools for supporting friends, family and co-workers. As a mental health first aider you will feel confident as a first responder in crisis situations and know how to guide someone towards appropriate support. You will receive a certificate on completion which does not have an expiry date. MHFA England recommend that you attend a refresher course every two – three years to keep your knowledge and skills up to date.
Mental Health First Aid Champion Course (1 Day)
The one day course is recommended for those who want to create a mentally healthy environment in their workplace. It does not qualify you as a Mental Health First AIDER.
MHFA One Day Champion course – On this MHFA Training you will learn about the most common mental health problems including how to identify when someone is experiencing mental distress. You will feel more confident supporting others and you will know how to signpost appropriately. The one day mental health first course covers the ALGEE action plan, and how to use it. This course is often recommended for line managers, supervisors, deputies. The course includes two sessions: Mental Health First Aid & Mental Health First Aid action plan
Mental Health First Aid Awareness Course (0.5 DAY)
This half-day course is 4 hours in duration and raises awareness around Mental Health.
Mental Health Aware Half Day course – This half day MHFA training is a basic introduction to mental health, and why it is important. It introduces some common mental health challenges and discusses how to spot them. During this four hour course you will learn how to talk to someone who may be experiencing mental ill health, and feel more confident speaking about mental health with colleagues, friends or family. The course also will also equip you with some tools to look after your own mental health.The Mental Health Awareness Training includes such topics as Stigma, Depression, Anxiety Disorders etc.
Mental Health First Aid Refresher Course
Assessment & Certification | MHFA England Certification
All our MHFA Training Courses are delivered by MHFA England certified trainers. You will receive an MHFA England certificate
Are You Ready To Start?
See the dates of first aid courses in Manchester
See the dates of first aid courses in Birmingham
FAQ about Mental Health First Aid
It is very important to understand that after course completion you will not become a therapist or psychology professional. You will not be able to treat anyone who has ill mental health.
Instead, your role is simply a supportive one, like the title suggests, you will be the first contact to those who possibly could have mental health related issues. You can wear a special mental health first aider badge or lanyard. So people at your workplace could recognise and approach you if they need your help as a mental health first aider.
On the course, you will be taught how to give mental health first aid for different conditions like depression, self-harm, psychosis, suicidal crisis, anxiety disorder, etc. You will be equipped with a strategy and action plan called ALGEE.
The ALGEE plan acronym stands for
- Approach the person, assess and assist with any crisis
- Listen and communicate non-judgmentally
- Give support and information
- Encourage the person to get appropriate professional help
- Encourage other support
Remember your own mental health is always the priority. You choose to be a mental health first aider voluntarily. If at any given time you feel that it can affect your own mental comfort and you don’t feel like supporting others, consider stepping down from a mental health first aider role.
MHFA England is the only one accredited body in England. MHFA England have created mental health first aid training and various companies, including Siren, are providing the MHFA England courses. The 2-day mental health first aid course qualifies you as mental health first aider. The training teaches how to spot symptoms and signs of ill mental health. You will feel more confident to approach and support someone in need while keeping yourself safe.
If you want to become a mental health first aider you need to take a 2-day MHFA course (can be delivered over 4 days). You can choose an online course or face to face. Regardless of which option you choose you will receive the same certificate.
When you book the course with Siren we will send you joining instructions.
- The first thing you need to do is to register with MHFA England. It will allow us to send books on time and certificate after course completion.
- Also, we will provide you with the Online Learning Hub access where you will be able to complete your activities – read, watch the video, answer questions etc.
- You will meet your instructor 4 times, the live sessions with your trainer last 2 -2.5 hours.
- And lastly, after self-directed learning and 4 online sessions you will receive an email from MHFA England, you will need to fill a short feedback form and in the end, you will be able to download your certificate.
We will try to explain it in a very simple way.
The MHFA England is an accredited body that trains trainers. Then various companies hire the trainers and deliver the courses. Most likely you will get a very similar training and outcome whichever company you choose – we all use the same Online Learning Hub (a platform to deliver online courses) provided by the MHFA England.
The same trainers (a trainer might work one week for us, next week for another company). We carefully choose instructors who are providing Siren MHFA training courses. Most of the trainers have psychology/psychotherapy backgrounds. We thoroughly read our clients’ feedback, this way we were able to choose the best of the best trainers who work with us for years. We can proudly say that Siren is a leading provider of MHFA training. If you are not convinced simply check our reviews
All attendees receive MHFA England materials (manual and workbook, we deliver it to the attendee’s home). You will get the same outcome whichever company you choose because we all follow MHFA England’s guidelines.
We are all human beings before we are workers, and all of us have both physical and mental health. We know what can cause physical illness but we are not always aware of the reasons behind ill mental health. And when we see someone suffering mental health ill very often we don’t have right words or right actions to take, especially, in the workplace. It is very important that all staff are aware of how to take care of their own mental health, as well as know how to support each other.
Positive mental health in the workplace not only helps your business goals, but also improves employee satisfaction and retention. Any mental health first aid courses can improve wellbeing in the workplace. We highly recommend anyone interested in becoming a Mental Health First Aider attend the two day course, and implementing the one or half day course for all of the employees in the organisation. The course will raise mental health awareness, start conversations in your workplace and teach employees to support each other. Additionally, the course will help you create an action plan for a positive climate in the workplace.
Recovering from mental ill health can vary amongst individuals, as does length of recovery. While some individuals respond quickly to treatment and recover quickly, recovery can often be episodic for others. Still others have a longer recovery journey which can involve medication, self-help, attending therapy. It is important for workplaces to support employees in their recovery, and the Mental Health First Aid courses are a great starting point to understand how to create inclusive environments for people in recovery.
We recommend having as many mental health first aiders in the workplace as you have physical first aiders.
Mental health first aid course is particularly recommended for line managers and their teams for several reasons:
- You will be able to create a healthier environment in your workplace for your team.
- To spot an employee suffering from mental health issue and support them at work
- And prevent further mental health illness development
- Finally, you will be able to maintain your own mental health and wellbeing.
A mental health course is not a legal requirement yet. It is strongly recommended to have as many mental health first aiders as physical ones. the Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) recent recommendation to include ‘mental health trained first aiders’ as part of employers’ first aid needs assessments.
All courses come with course materials a manual and a workbook. The books are helpful resources to refresh your knowledge as well as support your own mental health, both during and after the course. Books are included in the course price.
The prices below are for our public courses. If you want to book a group please send us a short enquiry and we get back to you in minutes. A group booking is up to 30% off per person.
|Course length||Cost PP||Max. people per group|
|Half Day Course||£80+vat||25 people|
|One Day Course||£160+vat||16 people|
|Two Day Course||£240+vat||16 people|
Mental Health First aid is important for several core reasons.
- Ill mental health is very common. Research indicates that one in four people suffers from anxiety, panic or depression. It is very likely that someone in your immediate environment, whether in the workplace, home or neighborhood has or will experience ill mental health. Feeling equipped to help a family member or friend who may need it is a valuable tool.
- Mental health is still stigmatised in our society. Stigma negatively affects those who experience ill mental health and can delay recovery. When people feel ashamed to speak about their problems with others, they might not get the help they need. By beginning to have conversations about mental health with our friends and family and in our workplaces, we can start to decrease stigma and promote positive, safe environments for anyone to discuss their mental health. Additionally, speaking up about our mental health encourages others to do the same, and can normalise mental health. Mental health and physical health should be considered equally important, as they are both integral parts of personal and public wellbeing.
- Many of us are misinformed about mental health. For example, a very common myth about mental health is that those with mental issues are dangerous for society. By raising awareness of mental health, we can debunk discriminatory and harmful myths, help people take care of their own wellbeing as well as help others.
- Parity of esteem. In many respects, a mental health illnesses is similar to a physical ailment- The longer diagnosis and treatment are delayed the higher the risk for longer term consequences. Just like we know that eating healthy foods helps our physical abilities, healthy mental habits can be equally as important to mental health. Likewise, the sooner a problem is spotted, the quicker the recovery.
- In emergency situations, we can often feel that we don’t know how to advise, or act. A MHFA courses teaches participants an action plan to use in case of emergencies. This plan is easy to remember and effective in taking steps to help someone who may need it while making the environment safe for everyone involved.
It’s relatively easy to see the gaps we’ve been missing as a society, all generally aware of physical health. As such, it is good common sense to go to the doctor if you feel ill.
But where do you turn when you experience mental ill-health?
The most common answer is unfortunately not many places. Mental distress and mental ill-health are still steeped in stigma and discrimination, preventing people from getting the help they need. Achieving parity of esteem of physical and mental health is a fundamental step to creating a healthy, well-equipped society of workers and citizens. The current gaps here are clear, as we all have mental health as well as physical health. Why isn’t mental health equally as important as physical health? This is the question our society must respond to and a gap that MHFA training courses can address.
What people are saying
Very helpful, I learned a lot. Mick was Excellent!!
I really enjoyed the course session. The instructor Mick was very engaging and explained everything. He was always willing to answer any questions and walked us through each procedure step... read more
Mick made the training very practical and lively. A learnt a lot and I'm now confident of making a very Good first Aider